Sr. Backend Engineer (Python)
Help build technology that powers business aviation!
Portside is a venture capital backed company headquartered in San Francisco. We provide modern operational and financial software for the global business aviation industry, currently used by operators of 2,000+ business and government aircraft in 25+ countries.
- We help aircraft operators:
- aggregate aircraft data from multiple systems in a single data warehouse
- save thousands of hours every month by automating common business processes, e.g., aircraft owner billing statement (invoice) preparation
- improve profitability and enhance decision-making by introducing fleet-wide analytics and reporting
- We help aircraft owners:
- gain access to their aircraft’s data, e.g., plane and crew schedules, financials, upcoming maintenance, subscriptions, budgets, and documents
- perform self-service, e.g., by requesting flights and approving charter requests
- Unique opportunity
- In 2021, in addition to our core platform, we are working in partnership with some of the leading private jet operators in the world on several new strategic initiatives
- You will get to work on significant new modules, systems and functionality in a product company, with short development cycles and immediate customer impact
- Help us grow into the leading financial & analytics platform for business aviation
- We are both well-funded and profitable
- Led by a seasoned executive team. Harvard Business School and Berkeley graduates. Founded a Y Combinator company before (GetGoing, acquired in 2016). Grew a business to $1B in annual sales. Developed one of Time Magazine’s “50 Best Websites”.
We are looking for a Sr. Backend (Python) Engineer to help us develop strategic new software modules and critical customer-requested enhancements. You would be joining a 6-person backend team (the entire engineering & product team is 20+ people). We use a modern technology stack, including:
- Infrastructure: Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Back-end: Python, Django, PostgreSQL
- Devops: Jenkins, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform
- Monitoring: Kibana, Sentry, LogRocket, Pagerduty, Prometheus, Grafana
- Custom reporting: Jaspersoft Studio
- Communication & design: JIRA, Confluence, Slack, Figma
- 5+ years of Python development experience (using Django/Celery is a big advantage).
- Knowledge of SQL, database design, and optimization (PostgreSQL).
- Understanding of HTTP stack and REST API principles. Experience designing, building, and maintaining APIs.
- Understanding of fundamental design patterns and principles.
- Experience with automated testing, CI/CD, TDD.
- DevOps / AWS / Docker / Kubernetes / information security experience is a plus.
What we offer
- a small, friendly, professional team
- competitive compensation
- ability to work remotely in any European time zone
- no corporate bureaucracy
- holidays, 20 working days of vacation, and paid sick days